Underpinning of a basement is usually done for one of two reasons: either to strengthen the existing foundation of a home or to extend the foundation and basement floor downward to open up vertical space. Basement underpinning has been a common practice for well over a century and the basics of the process have not changed. What has changed over the past few decades (as much of Toronto’s housing stock has begun to age) is many people’s attitude toward the idea of underpinning. Once thought of as a messy way to address structural problems, homeowners are beginning to see the other substantial benefits the process has to offer.
Why You Should Consider Basement Underpinning
While basement underpinning is a well understood process you should always make sure it is done by an experienced, professional excavation contractor with a proven record of success and references. That said, here are some of the major benefits to be gained from underpinning your basement.
- More Space – In the search for space many folks default to building home additions when they could gain the additional space they seek through underpinning. A typical home with two above ground floors and a low-ceiling basement could gain up to 50% more usable square footage by simply lowering the basement floor then building out.
- Increased Structural Integrity – Underpinning the foundation, whether it’s to accommodate upper floor expansion or to create vertical space in the basement, will strengthen your home’s structural integrity, increase its curb value and extend its potential lifespan.
- Added Value – By opening up your basement for practical use you increase the resale value of your home by a considerable margin and make it more likely to sell quickly, rather than lingering on the market for months or years. Studies show that no other form of home improvement creates the ROI of a basement renovation.
- A Drier, Healthier Home – Many older basements suffer from seepage which not only undermines the integrity of the foundation but can lead to the development of mold and the generation of musty odours that make trips to the basement unpleasant. Recent research has indicated many types of mold can present serious health concerns as well. The process of basement underpinning will not only create new, usable space but afford you the opportunity to reset your relationship with your basement and start over with a dry, healthy environment.
- Rental Income – If you install a new or expanded entrance to your basement during the underpinning process you open up the possibility of turning your new space into a rentable apartment. A great idea if you want to both increase the value of your home and recover the cost of the underpinning and build-out.
Whether you need to strengthen your home’s foundation, address leaky foundation walls, create usable space for your family or create an income generating apartment downstairs, basement underpinning is a smart, value-loaded proposition. You’ll wind up with a safer, more stable, more spacious and more valuable property as a result.
Integrity Contracting is known for quality work, honesty and professional results that increase value to our customer’s properties. We know we can provide you with answers and solutions to your projects needs; we are qualified, licensed professionals – proven & trustworthy – who always deliver projects on time and on budget. We specialize in Home Additions, Framing, Basement Underpinning, Demolition and Excavation in Toronto. Visit us on Google+.