Given the number of properties in Toronto that have a basement, it is not surprising that underpinning is such a hot topic these days. If you have decided that you would like to make use of the below grade space in your home and you believe that this is the best way to do so, there are a few facts about underpinning of which you should be aware. To save you having to search online or ask other more experienced friends and relatives, we have made a list of the 5 most important facts you should know before you get started on this type of home improvement project.
Basement Underpinning in Toronto: What You Need to Know
Acquaint yourself with the facts below before you approach any local contractors and you will be better prepared for your next home improvement project.
- You Will Need a Building Permit – Although you are not building a home addition that will be in plain view once it has been completed, you are making structural alterations so you will need to apply for a building permit from the local authorities. For this reason, you should hire a contractor who is familiar with the whole process and who can prepare all the plans and documentation that you will need for your application to succeed.
- Underpinning Is More Expensive Than Benching – Between the two options for lowering the floor in your basement, basement underpinning in Toronto is the more expensive. However, it is also the option that will provide you with the most floor space once the work has been completed, which is why it is such a popular choice.
- The Work Must Be Completed in Small Stages – Underpinning does take longer than many other home improvement projects but the ends justify the means as far as most homeowners are concerned. The reason it cannot be rushed is because it involves digging underneath the foundations of your house before new footings are poured into the space created. As the foundations are supporting your home, the work must be completed in small stages.
- Underpinning Will Strengthen Existing Foundations – If subsidence, local earthworks, or any other underground disturbance has weakened the foundations of your property, you will be pleased to know that basement underpinning a Toronto property will also strengthen these foundations.
- Underpinning Can Make the Addition of Extra Storeys a Practical Option – If you like the idea of being able to add an extra storey to your home at some point in the future, underpinning is the best way to lower your basement floor. By strengthening the foundations of your property, you can make adding an extra floor a practical proposition.
If you would like to know more about basement underpinning in Toronto, please feel free to call us during business hours and we will be more than happy to answer your questions. We can also make plans to visit your home and prepare a detailed quotation for your consideration if you desire.