Top 10 Money-Saving Tips For Home Additions
Home additions are always a significant investment, and you have probably already thought long and hard about when, why, and how this project is going to be accomplished to your satisfaction. Integrity Contracting is one of the premier providers of contracting and construction services in the Greater Toronto Area, and we pride ourselves on our honest and quality work. Part of that job is to equip you, the homeowner, with as much knowledge as possible – which will enable you to make solid decisions throughout the process that are right for your home.
Here are some tips that will help you keep within budget and still get exactly what you want out of your home additions.
- Assess what you really need. Is that home theater absolutely necessary? Or will you be better off with pushing out the back wall of your den to create the space that you need to add a comfortable couch or two?
- At the same time, think ahead, and plan ahead. You shouldn’t make the mistake of trying to save some money right now, only to realize two years down the line that your family actually does need that that extra bedroom or study space.
- Find out what the legal limits and requirements are before embarking on the design stage of your home addition. Don’t hire an architect to design the additional storey of your house, only to find out afterward that the extra storey will exceed the height limit of buildings in your area.
- Obtain the right permits. Performing house additions without the proper permits is rather imprudent; having the right papers in your possession will protect the resale value of your house. Additionally, find out how the addition will change the property taxes and insurance on your house.
- Take the architect out of the equation. Unless it is a really big remodeling job, you probably will not need an architect’s service to design that extra room or larger kitchen. Experienced contractors should have plenty of ideas that you can work with.
- Make an effort to do the demolition work yourself. Unless there is complex electrical wiring involved, knocking down some drywall and cleaning up the mess is a task that is quite doable.
- If you have some construction skills of your own, put them to use! Tasks like painting and sanding are often jobs that many would be able to complete on their own.
- Keep with the design and color theme of the rest of your house. Not only will this improve resale value, but the ideal home addition should feel like a part of your existing home.
- Carefully consider the materials you want to use. Energy efficient materials and appliances may cost more initially, but will save you money in the long run.
- If you have sufficient knowledge and experience, you can hire yourself to be your own general contractor. This will help you save significantly on costs, but do this only if you have the knowledge and time to coordinate all the subcontractors that you will need.
At Integrity Contracting we can provide you with further professional consultation on home additions. We are the contracting company that you can always rely on for honest, straightforward advice!
Integrity Contracting is known for quality work, honesty and professional results that increase value to our customer’s properties. We know we can provide you with answers and solutions to your projects needs; we are qualified, licensed professionals – proven & trustworthy – who always deliver projects on time and on budget. We specialize in Home Additions, Framing, Basement Underpinning, Demolition and Excavation. Visit us on Google+.